Monday 6 February 2012

#qualitative research: introduction to #grounded #theory and some emotive language use in courses idea

The last couple of months I have been immersed in data analysis research: some qualitative (argh) and some qualitative (well, argh as well). No matter how I twist and turn it, I need to really dig into data analysis to understand how it works and why this type of analysis is a good thing. Let's just say my mind is not naturally equiped for data analysis, although on the other hand I get somewhat of a high when an analysis is done. My MobiMOOC Research Team (MRT) colleagues and I have also been working on a paper regarding emotive language use in an open online course, in order to deduce whether some sentences could be indicators of emerging demotivation and even dropout of an open course. For if this would be the case, course facilitators and even computer data mining programs could be used to pick-up this effechttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gift and enter in a motivational conversation with those learners (nice idea). This experience got my eyes opened as I understood how less I understood of qualitative research.

So for all of you that are also struggling, I will gladly share any meaningful resources that might just get us a bit more knowledgeable on data analysis. Starting with one of the most commonly used one's: grounded theory. I found this set of videos on YouTube, these are lectures given by Grahttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifham Gibbs, who teaches at the University of Huddersfield (United Kingdom) and with a typical British under-cooled flair (how do those Brits keep their passion so controlled?) he gets the key points across: coding, ethics, approach...

Below you will find the first (5 min) video, but you can also subscribe to the Qualitative Research Channel right here and get all of the videos on the subject.

Btw if anyone knows great resources on data analysis, feel free to share, I can use every bit of it. Now diving back into Creswell (2007) on qualitative methods design.

No comments:

Post a Comment